It’s been a while! What can I say? My life is insane at the moment. So much so that I can’t even bring myself to write about it at this point, but I know I will once the dust settles. Someday. Eventually.
This is not my usual kind of post, but I think it’s an important one, especially for people like me, who struggle to understand other people’s intentions toward them at times. If you recognize many or all of these characteristics in someone, it is safe to say they are toxic and unhealthy for you to occupy space with. So, without further ado, here are 25 red flags to watch for in people you would be better off avoiding:
25 Toxic Traits of “Unsafe” People
- They lack empathy.
- They regularly make AND break promises.
- They always have an excuse.
- They make “blanket” apologies, but never change their behavior.
- They are always annoyed or angry.
- They expect perfection from others, and are intolerant of even the smallest mistake, yet feel entitled to endless chances.
- They are extraordinarily hypocritical.
- They prefer confrontation to connection.
- They are often dishonest.
- They shift the blame and won’t take responsibility for their own actions & mistakes.
- They blame others for their toxic &/or abusive behavior.
- They are often quite immature, acting like overgrown toddlers when they don’t get their way.
- They cannot stand to delay their gratification.
- They use people with no regard for their feelings.
- They resist freedom instead of encouraging it.
- They have a trail of bad relationships behind them, and may have “commitment issues.”
- They don’t listen, and frequently interrupt during conversations.
- They are defensive and don’t take feedback well, no matter how the message is structured or delivered.
- They are extremely argumentative for no reason.
- They are overly critical, judgmental, and unforgiving.
- They use other people’s mistakes, weaknesses, & vulnerabilities against them.
- They betray secrets.
- They are selfish, self-centered, and self-absorbed.
- They avoid personal growth because they don’t believe they need to grow.
- They make others feel badly for expressing &/or asserting themselves.
So there it is. I hope this list helps you spot the red flags of toxic behavior, and avoid people who exhibit them. Can you think of any I forgot? Please feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks!